One Word Necklace DIY

Last week, I was once again bitten by the crafty bug. It happens when I have too much time and a clean house. I just needed to create something. I got the idea from this post, and then expanded on it a bit. Mom and I were already out and about, so we just popped into Michael's and Hobby Lobby to pick up our supplies, then we went back to my house to get started.

This was not my idea, I got it from Mandy @ This Girl's Life. I just documented how I did it to share with you because it was so much fun to do! I can't wait to make more of these as gifts!

You will need:
-a blank pendant (I got mine at Hobby Lobby)
-a chain (again, Hobby Lobby)
-acrylic paint of your choice
-glass filler (I used Martha Stewart brand - Glass Paint; Liquid Fill transparent)
-small sticker letters
-paintbrush
-metal o-ring to attach pendant to chain (I used one from a costume jewelry piece I never wear)


We ended up making several versions of this necklace. One for mom, one for me, then one for my grandmother, and another for my brother's wife. It's a fun, inexpensive craft that you can wear over and over again.


First, I painted the inside of my pendant. I left it a bit messy on purpose to go with the "rustic" feel of the pendant.

Once that dries, put on your stickers. I chose the word "joy" because of my recent struggle with anxiety, as a reminder to myself to "count it all as joy," to be joyful, and to carry the joy of the Lord in my heart. I thought it would be a good talisman. And who doesn't need a little extra joy in their life?

My grandmother's to says "Mom" and my mom put "Hope" and "Love" and the two she made.

Once you have the phrase or word you want, put on a nice thick coat of the glass medium over the stickers. It looks a bit hazy at first, but don't panic, it dries clear. Ours peeled some of the paint up, which made it look crackly and old fashioned. Personally, I like it.

Let me know if you try it! I'd love to see how you make this necklace your own!

Labels: ,