Coconut Sugar Oatmeal Cookies

Some of you know that I have an intolerance for processed sugars. It's totally weird and I've never heard of anyone else who has this, but there it is. I'm weird. Anyways, it's been an ongoing search for me to find different ways around the whole no processed sugar thing. So far I've found that I can handle raw/unprocessed/natural sugars. My favorite so far is raw honey.

Somebody donated a heap of fresh veggies from the farmer's market yesterday, so I got a whole slew of fresh zucchini, beets, and a kohlrabi (which I'm still not sure what to do with). So yesterday afternoon when I got bitten by the baking bug, which very rarely happens (because my mom hoarded all of her wonderful baking genes to herself - selfish! :P), I decided to make an afternoon of it. Zucchini bread muffins and cookies were on my list of things to make.

First of all, the muffins. I found a recipe that uses honey instead of sugar, and greek yogurt instead of butter. I didn't have enough honey, so I subbed in natural molasses. I didn't have any greek yogurt either, so I subbed in sour cream (thanks Kaitlyn!). Let's just say this... they're not bad, but they're definitely not as sweet as normal, good zucchini bread. It wasn't a total fail, though, and they make a pretty good breakfast.

Now, the cookies. Oh, the cookies.

{When you haven't had sugar or decent sweet treats for almost a whole year, you get excited about the little things that work.}

I adapted this recipe from the Pioneer Woman to use coconut sugar, which is totally natural and raw, has a nutty flavor to it, a pretty golden color, and can be substituted 1:1 for brown sugar.

Coconut Sugar Oatmeal Cookies
(printable recipe here)
Ingredients
2 sticks (1 cup) Salted Butter, softened
2 cups Coconut Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract    
2 whole Eggs
1-1/2 cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3 cups Oats

Directions
*Preheat oven to 350(f) degrees. *In a big bowl, beat together the butter and coconut sugar until fluffy. *Beat in vanilla. *Add eggs, one at a time. *Mix flour, salt, and baking soda, and add to the liquid slowly until combined. *Mix in the oats until combined. *Drop teaspoon portions of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment. *Bake until golden brown and chewy (about 10-12 minutes).

This made about 3 dozen cookies. Enjoy!!

Labels: ,