Homemade Laundry Soap

There's never an end to laundry, is there? I mean, think about it... even when you've washed everything you can, you're already behind, because what you're currently wearing is now dirty. So, unless you do your laundry while you're nekkid as a little jay bird, there is always more laundry to be done. Not to mention that laundry soap is so dangblasted expensive now a days.

Well, here's a cheap alternative to buying expensive laundry soap that runs out too soon.

Make your own.

I'm a big proponent of doing it yourself (DIY) if you can, and if you can do it cheaply. One of my good friends started making her own cleaning products, and since we did laundry at her house, I benefited from her homemade soap, and I like it so much more than store-bought soap! So when we moved up here for school, I decided to make some, too. This is the recipe that she uses, and gave to me!

Homemade Laundry Soap

Ingredients:
1- box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4lb or 1.81kg)
1- box Borax (4lb 12oz or 2.15kg)
1- box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (3lb 7oz or 1.55kg)
3 bars Fels Naptha soap
Oxy-Clean (approx 3.5lbs or 1.58kg)
You'll also need a bucket to mix in, and a waterproof container to store your soap in.
*This smells like Fels Naptha, which I think smells good, but you could probably add some scent crystals if you wanted a different smell.*

Directions:
*Shred the bars of Fels Naptha soap into tiny pieces. {My friend used her food processor, I shredded mine with a cheese grater}. It will look like weird cheese. Don't eat it! *Dump all of the ingredients into the bucket. *Mix everything together until well-combined. *Use 1-2 Tablespoons of soap per load. {You don't need as much since every ingredient cleans, and there are no fillers to or water to take up space. Plus, you don't have that nasty, slimy, laundry soap mess from filling the lid.}

And that's it! I got all of this at my local grocery store, you can find everything except the Baking Soda in the detergent aisle (find the baking soda in the cooking aisle).

It cost me less than $20 to make, and fills about 3/4 of a 5-gallon bucket. Plus, since you use so little per load, it lasts for a very long time. Just make sure you store it in a place/container where it won't get wet.

Have fun!

Labels: ,