9 Things

Hello from Belgium!! It has been a whirlwind couple of days with plenty of jet lag, but it has been so good and I am so thankful that we were able to come.

1. We flew out of Chicago after saying a heartbreaking "till next time" (because I don't say goodbye) to our dear friends, Marcus & Kaitlyn at the curbside dropoff. It sounds heartless to drop us off and leave, but at least on my end, it makes the parting a little bit easier because then there is an action that must be done (get bags into airport, check-in, etc), and my heart understands a little better. I think it is easier on the other side of it, too. I'm glad they were able to come.
2. Our flights were smooth and uneventful; the best kind. We ate well and watched The Hobbit; the Desolate of Smaug, which I just loved. I think we slept a bit, although the crying/screaming baby didn't allow for much of that. After a short layover in Dublin, we took the short hop to Brussels where Josh's parents picked us up. It's so nice when you have people you love put you on the plane, and people you love take you off. It helps the heart.

3. Josh and I met our two nephews, one that was just a few months old last time we saw him (at our wedding!), and the other whom we've never met. They're quite possibly the sweetest little boys I've ever met, and even though we don't speak the same language, we still manage to get along just fine. Love and family needs no translation.
4. Earlier this week was my little blog's third birthday. It's kind of hard to believe it's already been that long that I've been typing away and you've been reading along. Thanks for that.

5. Yesterday I celebrated 23 years in this body. My nephew, Jesse, really wanted to celebrate and asked special if they could get pie and candles for "Tante Erin" (Aunt Erin). There was singing and visiting and flowers and beautiful pies and chocolates and cards and so much love. We went to a little zoo where I made a "birthday crown" of daisies (some things will never change), and later, Josh and I took a walk on a little mountain to watch the sun set. I got to talk to my parents in Florida, too, so my birthday was complete.
6. I've been working on my Dutch/Flemish and I think I'm learning a lot. I've been told that I can pick out words well, but I still don't feel comfortable speaking it.

7. This morning we went to church where I surprised myself by singing the songs I knew in English when everyone else sang in Flemish. Apparently my brain is good at separating languages between my ears and my mouth. Josh summed up the message for me throughout the service, so I could understand some; when he wasn't translating, I had a little Bible study of my own with the passage (Colossians 2:4-15). I feel so blessed that no matter where I am in the world, God is the same and people still love Him and sing the same songs.
8. The weather here has been so nice, and I've even started to get a little tan going after my winter hibernation. I feel like one of those ladies of old who would spend their summers abroad and come home tanned and glamorous with stories to tell. Not that I'm either tan or glamorous, mind you. ;)

9. Josh let me buy The Help as my summer traveling book (I know, I know, I'm wayyyy behind the times). It was so good that I couldn't put it down for long. It really makes you think.
I hate to leave on an odd number like that, but I can't think of anything more to tell right now. Jet lag makes my brain stop working at curious times. I try to put up pictures as often as I can.

Labels: , , ,