Desert Roadtrip

Hi! We have finally made it to our destination in Arizona, and I finally found some time to squeeze out a blog post. I feel like I have so much to say!

We landed in America a week and a half ago, and have been going full-tilt since then! A lovely family from our Wisconsin church opened their house to us. We stayed for a week with them while we soaked up time with our best Wisconsin friends, and our church. It was wonderful to have that little gap in there to get back on our feet from traveling (jet-lag is a killer, I tell ya!). The family we stayed with definitely gets the award for having house guests; they simply continued on with life and let us fit where we fell - no pressure at all.
I also got in lots of snuggle time with this little doll! Isn't she just beautiful? My friends sure make pretty babies.

We started driving on Thursday, destination: Arizona. It was weird to my east-coast, tree-loving eyes to watch the landscape change the farther southwest we got. The grass became more coarse, sparse, and less green. The dirt became red and gravelly. And you could see for miles with nothing interrupting your view; not trees, houses, or cars. My question for all of the people living in the little towns (I use that term loosely) is this: what do you do?!
I never thought that I would ever live in the desert, but here I am. We arrived at our new home Saturday afternoon, unloaded the car, and did our best to unpack. It's still not quite done, and I have a lot that I still want to do, but we're taking it one step at a time. It's always kind of hard to set up home again.

My phone has also been having some serious issues staying alive out here. We're so close to the Mexican border that my phone keeps searching for service there, and all of it's roaming about just kill the battery without me doing anything. I think I finally got it sorted, but we'll see.
Yesterday I brought a little sunshine inside to brighten up our new home. I found these jars in the mission barrel, added some polka dots, a little water, and some cuttings from the big butterfly bush outside. I'm not sure how long that bush will live out here in the dry desert, but I'm going to enjoy it while it's here.

Labels: , , , , ,