Southern Sweet Tea

I'm not sure what it is, but there is something so refreshing and comforting about a glass of ice cold sweet tea, especially on a sweltering day. I haven't made sweet tea for a long time, since finding out that I can't have sugar. I suffered through pitchers of unsweetened iced tea, avoiding all artificial sweeteners and bemoaning my bad luck. Until last week when I realized that I can have raw sugar {I'm a little slow on the uptake, y'all}.

Now I know that iced tea is a strange thing for many people who aren't from the South, I mean, tea is meant to be hot, right? And that's okay y'all are just missing out on one of God's gifts to mankind. However, not all tea can be iced and not all iced tea can be good. It has to be sweet.

There is some debate about how sweet it should be. Where I grew up, iced tea should be sweet enough to double as pancake syrup (just kidding... but really). It needs to be sweet, y'all. Not just less unsweet than usual.

Southern Sweet Tea
(makes 1 gallon)
printable recipe here
I make a batch of this every week (ish), and it's just perfect for those hot Arizona afternoons. And here's a bonus, if you want your tea hot, just microwave a mug of this for about 30 seconds and you're all set!

Labels: , ,