erin's expectations


This is the week y’all! The week of packing, hugging, cleaning, hugging, tears, hugging, suitcases, hugging, carry-ons, and hugging. We leave for Papua New Guinea this week.

I’ve been encouraged not to pack any expectations in my suitcase; to leave them all on this side of airport security, and not bring any with me. It makes it much easier to transition to life overseas when you have no expectations of what it’s supposed be like.

I know it’s not cool anymore, but I really love being a housewife. I believe that homemaking is a ministry all by itself. And it’s something I both adore and enjoy. I thrive on the minutia of house and home (except bathrooms – I hate bathrooms). I love to make my home comfortable, welcoming, and lovely. I’m so glad that I can do that no matter where in the world I am.

I can expect some things to be the same… I will have a house with running water, indoor plumbing, dust, and dishes. I will still be a wife, neighbor, friend, and Jesus follower. I will still have Internet (albeit slow) to blog, Facebook, Instagram, email, and generally stay connected with the rest of the globe. I’ll still experiment with cooking and crafts. I’ll still try new things and fail miserably. I can also expect that most things will take longer overseas than they do here in the states.

There is no Publix, Wal-Mart, or Target for me to pick up a quick dinner for a busy night, a new picture frame for the house, new craft supplies, or a new candle. Most everything will need to be made from supplies on hand or from scratch. Thank God I live in an age where Pinterest and all things homemade, shabby chic, and rustic are “in.”

So yesterday, when Josh and I packed oursuitcases, I left my expectations in the discard pile and tucked my craft pens and washi tape into my shoes for safekeeping. At least I don’t have to pack my imagination or my creativity.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,